“We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out, just the upstairs window to look out of while the fire burns the house down with us trapped, locked in it.” ― Tennessee Williams,
Local firefighters were called back to the scene of a fire early Friday morning when a cooking pot filled with oil overheated and burst into flames.
The first call to the fourth story suite was around 1 a.m. and the responding firemen thought they had contained and controlled the blaze at that time.
A second call for assistance was placed four hours later to the same suite and location when the flames reappeared once again and began to destroy the roof of the complex.
Residents n the building were once again forced to venture outside in the rain and wait until it was safe to re-enter their units.
No one was injured during both incidents and the only casualty was a micro wave oven that melted in the affected suite.
A few tenants grumbled and complained and raised accusations that the fire crew had botched the job the first time.
The incident is currently under investigation.
The five residences comprising the site were updated last year about this time and the roof and other fixtures replaced and repaired.
The older wooden supports would have turned the residence into a veritable tinder box. — gc