The dilapidated condition of this stretch of parking stall space has been this way for a number of months. The mall owner has appealed to city hall for a type of an extension which will allow his company the right to repair the structure when competent workers are available.
His argument to city hall emphasized the fact that his firm is doing its best to start repair on the treacherous column but that the insurance company of the person involved in smashing into the column is stalling and continuing its investigation into the matter.
At one end of the affected sidewalk is a medical center while at the other end is a liquor retail outlet. Seniors using walkers and mothers pushing baby buggies pass this spot on a regular basis. The protruding wooden barricades interfere with the safe passage of pedestrians using the walkway.
So far the mall’s management team has been successful in securing the necessary permission from city hall. Local residents who pass this public eyesore on their way to either the grocery store or work state that it is only a matter of time before the column will collapse and predict that someone will be injured.
A number of these folks have petitioned city hall to force the mall owners to start the needed repairs on the site as soon as possible. Council has been waffling on their response to their pleas.
These people have done their best at the “shoulda, woulda, coulda” approach to get things done. They feel its time for city hall to get up off their duffs and take a stand against the developer.
Only time will tell which course of action will ensue: immediate repair of the problem or else a collapse of the column and someone gets injured.
What would you do in this instance?
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)